SIX REASONS WHY LEADERS LET BULLIES FLOURISH
1) Don’t know what the role of leader/manager is – there is a distinctive set of competencies. Just because someone is a brilliant clinician does not translate to being an effective leader. They must be taught the distinctive competencies and conscious leadership development is essential
2) The leader/manager and all staff must know what the boundaries of expected behaviour are. Boundaries include legislation; code of conduct; professional guidelines; organisational policies.
3) There must be an organisational expectation that the leader/manager must execute their positional authority to manage the breach of boundary.
4) “I don’t know what to say ?” Executing a proven courageous conversation script with confidence and authority.
5) Managing own fear in response to thinking about having the courageous conversation. This is why many leader/managers – “ run away” The reason lies in the function of the emotional brain whose response to danger is to automatically “flight, fight or freeze” Understanding the emotional brain and the wiring in the hippocampus in childhood gives tremendous insight re own behaviours . In harnessing the capacities of the prefrontal cortex which is the only brain that can make a conscious choice, the manager can learn techniques ( Eg Emotional Freedom Technique) as well as be coached in the courageous conversation script to manage the fear.
6) Senior management support is critical for effective bully management. Bullies will oftencircumvent the direct manager and go and “complain” about the manager. Senior management support must be strong and consistent for the manager. In my practice I have witnessed the collapse of teams because of the failure of senior management support.
The cost of bullying to the Australian economy is estimated to be $6- $ 36 billion (Australian Federal Government Enquiry 2014)
PREVENT THESE COSTS TO YOUR ORGANISATION
TAKE COMMAND OF THESE SIX STRATEGIES THROUGH POWERMIND COACHING